Capella Regalis presents Capella Regalis Men & Boys Choir and the Choir of the Cathedral Church of All Saints, with guest Baroque instrumentalists, in a production of the Musikalische Exequien
Capella Regalis presents Capella Regalis Men & Boys Choir and the Choir of the Cathedral Church of All Saints, with guest Baroque instrumentalists, in a production of the Musikalische Exequien by Heinrich Schütz (1635) directed by Paul Halley.
This special Halifax performance takes place on the 350th anniversary – to the day – of Schütz’s death on November 6, 1672. It is one of many musical events taking place across Canada this fall as part of SchützFest350, a coast-to-coast Canadian festival of music composed by influential Baroque composer Heinrich Schütz (1585—1672).
The Musikalische Exequien is a masterpiece of the early Baroque period and is the first Requiem ever composed in the German language. Regal and uplifting in style, the work comprises three movements scored for five-part to eight-part chorus alternating with small ensembles of solo voices and instruments. Schütz was a pioneering 17th-century composer revered for bringing the Italian music style of his teacher Gabrieli as well as Monteverdi to Germany and mixing it with that of his 16th-century predecessors in the Germanic style, a melding that was to influence the development of music in Germany for generations of composers to come, from J.S. Bach to Brahms.
(Sunday) 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Halifax’s theatre and comedy scenes come together for Punch Up November 28, 2022
- Halifax’s holiday entertainment guide November 25, 2022
- Leona Burkey continues to refine her renegade folk sound with Groundrush November 24, 2022
- Singing loud for all to hear: Neptune Theatre presents Elf: The Musical November 21, 2022
- #FridayFive: 5 shows not to miss in Halifax (November 21-27) November 18, 2022
- Halifax Jazz Festival brings music to the waterfront this holiday season November 17, 2022
- Lennie Gallant’s The Innkeeper’s Christmas offers something different November 16, 2022
- The year of Reeny Smith November 14, 2022
Calendar of EventsDiscover other performing arts events in Halifax in our Calendar of Events.