The Legacy Song Project
07jun7:00 pm10:00 pmThe Legacy Song ProjectEvent Type MusicThe Stage at St Andrew's, 6036 Coburg Road, Halifax NS, Canada Event Organized ByThe Stage at St Andrew’s
The Legacy Song Project documents the experiences of Atlantic Canadians at the end of their lives and those who have lost loved ones. The show at The Stage at St. Andrew’s
The Legacy Song Project documents the experiences of Atlantic Canadians at the end of their lives and those who have lost loved ones.
The show at The Stage at St. Andrew’s in Halifax on June 7 is part of a five-stop tour over the
“We really hope that the outcomes from this project can ignite conversation about death, and ultimately, how to live a fulfilling life,” says Sarah McInnis, the creator of The Legacy Song Project.
This has culminated in an eight-song album and short documentary film that will allow people to preserve the memories of their loved ones – and in some cases, give a living memorial to themselves and their families.
“In a death and grief-adverse society, many people end up trying to work through the
incredibly difficult experiences of approaching the end of their life, or losing a loved one, alone,” says McInnis. “This project gives a voice to dying and grieving Atlantic Canadians, and shines light on experiences that everyone, without exception, will go through, yet no one really talks about.”
Supported by Arts Nova Scotia and the Canada Council for the Arts, McInnis conducted
interviews with participants across the four Atlantic provinces and created songs out of the
stories she heard.
The reason for the project was a simple one, says McInnis.
“Having people who are at end-of-life or who have experienced the death of a loved one tell their own stories, in their own voices, and through the medium of music, to normalize the conversation about death, dying, grief and loss,” she says. “We wanted to show that even in death, our legacies are powerful gifts that can bring comfort and healing to those we leave behind.”
(Wednesday) 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
DisclaimerHalifax Presents is not associated with the events featured in our calendar (unless specifically indicated) and are not responsible for any claims made in our listings. We recommend checking with organizers prior to attending any event.
- The Dome Project is a musical journey through the cosmos June 7, 2023
- Cecilia Concerts celebrates 35 years June 5, 2023
- Scotia Festival of Music adds accessibility-focused concert to this year’s line-up June 1, 2023
- Callum Gaudet’s Ghosts is an echo of our landscape & of the past May 31, 2023
- Technology, music, movement and more are all on tap at this year’s STAGES Theatre Festival May 30, 2023
- Sarah McInnis explores death, grief (and life) with the Legacy Song Project May 29, 2023
- Halifax dance artist Emma Kerson wins the 2023 Diane Moore Creation Award May 26, 2023
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are heading west May 25, 2023
Calendar of EventsDiscover other performing arts events in Halifax in our Calendar of Events.