Meet multi-instrumentalist and pop singer-songwriter Apryll Aileen.
This interview has been edited.
20 Questions with Apryll Aileen
1. Your first job.
My first real job was working in a bakery. Thank God I was rowing for four hours a day at
2. The job you always wanted as a child?
As a child, I wanted to be any of three things: popstar, astronaut or veterinarian.
3. Your pet peeve.
Wet towels left on the bed!
4. Your hero.
My mom is my hero because of her kindness, patience and forgiveness.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
My biggest indulgence is listening to the “Huberman Lab” podcast by Ph. D. neuroscientist Andrew Huberman.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
I grew up in the country, close to the ocean – the first thing I drove was a tractor.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
A notebook, a pencil and a piano.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If they made a movie about your life, who would it star?
Either Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson or Rachel McAdams.
10. Hero or villain?
Hero, but even they can and usually will be the villain to someone at some point in the
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
I tend to overthink and worry, so when I’m in these states, the song “Don’t Worry Be
Happy” by Bobby McFerrin always puts me in a great mood.
12. The last book you read.
I’m reading “The Tenth Insight” from James Redfield’s The Celestine Prophecy series.
13. The song getting the most play on your Spotify playlist right now.
“Don’t Speak” by No Doubt and “Summer Rain” by Majid Jordan.
14. If you were a cartoon character, what cartoon character would you be?
Definitely Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
“Wherever you go, there you are.”
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
I’d love to have dinner with Elon Musk.
17. Your idea of happiness.
My definition of happiness is to be truly present and focused with clear direction and surrounded by loved ones. But also beaches, sunsets, making music, travelling and
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty-year-old self?
You are good enough to do whatever you want to do. Start now.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
Running my own business as a creative entrepreneur and knowing that no matter how difficult the task or obstacle, I have the perseverance and intelligence to find a solution.
20. To be or not to be?
I’m working on the effortlessness of “being,” so I’ll choose “to be.”
Meet Apryll Aileen
Apryll Aileen is a multi-instrumentalist and pop singer-songwriter from Saint John, New Brunswick.
Her smooth vocals and alluring stage presence make Apryll Aileen a fan favourite at music
festivals worldwide. Aileen transcends genres, creating her own undefinable sound with
influences from pop, electronic, folk and R&B. She doesn’t imitate – she creates.
A hybrid of two polarities, she blends melodic songwriting and vocal tones from artists such as Miley Cyrus and Adele but with the storytelling edge of Stevie Nicks.